Every time I tweak my vegan cupcake recipe I think it’s my best one ever, so there have been quite few declarations of “No, this is definitely my final cupcake recipe!” throughout the past few months. However, I feel quite confident saying that this chocolate cupcake recipe is now my go-to one, and I finally feel like it doesn’t need any further changes. It originally came about as a modified version of my mini three tier cherry chocolate cake recipe, and I’ve used it to make many a birthday cupcake since, so I thought it was about time it appeared on the blog. The addition of vanilla icing and vegan honeycomb pieces make these chocolate honeycomb cupcakes an extremely indulgent and tasty treat!
For the honeycomb:
50g of caster sugar
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
For the chocolate cupcakes:
6 tablespoons of aquafaba*
100g of caster sugar
150g of self raising flour
25g of cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
2 tablespoons of soy milk
50g of chocolate chips
For the icing:
60g of vegetable shortening
60g of vegan butter
240g of icing sugar
2 tablespoons of soy milk
*Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas.
Makes: 8 chocolate honeycomb cupcakes
1. Start by making the honeycomb. Place the caster sugar and golden syrup into a small saucepan. Mix to combine and then leave to heat up. Do not continue to stir the mixture. Once it has started simmering, leave for a further three minutes. Whisk in the bicarbonate of soda and immediately pour into a lined baking tray. Leave to one side to cool and then smash into pieces with a rolling pin (placing it in the freezer for 5 minutes can make it easier to smash).
2. To make the chocolate cupcakes, start by beating together the aquafaba and caster sugar. Stir in the sunflower oil and soy milk. In another bowl, mix together the self raising flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
3. Spoon the mixture into cupcake cases. Each case should be around half full. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes at 175 degrees celcius. Once done, leave to cool before icing.
4. Once the cupcakes have cooled, make a start on the icing. Add the vegetable shortening, vegan butter, icing sugar and soy milk to a bowl and beat until just combined. Stir in the soy milk. Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes, and sprinkle over the honeycomb pieces.
5. These chocolate honeycomb cupcakes pair beautifully with a vegan caramel latte.