The natural sweetness of pistachio pairs really well with the slight bitterness of dark chocolate. For a while I had been testing recipes that combined these two flavours, but none of them were quite right until I tried these pistachio chocolate cookie bites. Don’t make the error I made – you can buy pistachios that are already shelled and skinned. I didn’t realise this until I’d tested the recipe several times and spent too many hours of my life shelling and skinning pistachios!
300 g of plain flour
150 g of caster sugar
150 g of vegan butter (melted)
3 tablespoons of aquafaba*
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
100 g of vegan dark chocolate
2 teaspoons of soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
50 g of pistachios (shelled and skinned)
*Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas.
NB For this recipe you will need a chocolate mould similar to this one and a muffin pan.
Makes: 12 bites
1. Start by making the pistachio chocolates for the centre of the bites. Heat a pan of water on the hob. Once heated, turn the heat to low and place a glass bowl over the pan. Break the chocolate into chunks and add to the pan along with the soy milk. Stir continuously until melted. (You could use a microwave for this step instead. Place the chocolate and soy milk into a microwaveable bowl and place in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, and then continue checking at 10 second intervals.)
2. Once the chocolate has melted, stir in the pistachios. Pour into your chocolate mould and place in the freezer to set.
3. Next, combine the caster sugar and aquafaba in a medium bowl and beat until frothy. Add in the melted butter and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
4. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients, and stir to combine into a dough.
5. Take your muffin pan and place around a heaped tablespoon into each cavity. If you aren’t using a silicone muffin pan, it’s a good idea to grease the tin first with a bit of vegan butter.
6. Put the muffin pan in the oven on 180 degrees celcius for around 15 minutes – until the tops have started to firm slightly.
7. Take your pistachio chocolates and press one into the centre of each bite as soon as they come out of the oven.
8. Leave the pistachio chocolate cookie bites to cool and then enjoy!