3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Dash of oil
1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
1/2 a red apple (peeled and chopped into small pieces)
1 pack puff pastry
4 tablespoons aquafaba* (or sub melted vegan butter or soy milk)
*Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas.
Makes: 16 sausage rolls
1. In a bowl, mix together the vital wheat gluten, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast.
2. Stir in the oil, mustard and vegetable stock. Mix to form a dough. Knead for a couple of minutes.
3. Cut the puff pastry in half lengthways, so you have two long rectangles.
4. Split the dough into two and roll two long sausages. Place one in the centre of each piece of puff pastry (lengthways). Top each sausage with the apple.
5. Brush the aquafaba down one length of each piece of puff pastry.
6. Roll the pastry over the sausage and press down to seal.
7. Cut each roll into eight, score the top and brush with the remaining aquafaba.
8. Place onto a lined baking tray and bake for 20-30 minutes on 180 degrees celcius, until the tops are golden brown.