For the caramelised orange slices:
1/2 cup sugar
For the brownies:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons aquafaba*
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons soy milk
Zest of 2 oranges
1/3-1/2 cup chocolate chips
*Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas.
1. Make the caramelised orange slices in advance. Thinly slice the orange, and cut each slice in half. Place in a saucepan. The saucepan should be large enough that there is only one layer of orange slices.
2. Mix the sugar with 1 1/2 cups of boiling water. Pour over the orange slices and leave to simmer over a low heat for 1-2 hours, until the orange slices have started to look slightly translucent but are still soft.
3. To make the brownies, mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add in the aquafaba, vegetable oil and soy milk and mix to combine. Stir in the orange zest and chocolate chips.
4. Pour the brownie mixture into a 9 x 9 inch baking tin lined with baking paper. Top with the caramelised orange slices.
5. Cook for 25-30 mins at 200 degrees. Once done, they should be fudgy and gooey, rather than cake-like.